While we think you're pretty cool already, it's hard to stay comfortable during the summer months without burning a hole in your utility bills.
These six tips from smartenergy.com will help you use less energy in your home during the summer and potentially save money on your utility bills.
- Be smart with your thermostat. For every degree you raise your thermostat above 72°, you could save up to 3% on your cooling expenses.
- Keep your home breezy. A good fan will allow you to raise your thermostat while maintaining the same level of comfort.
- Keep the sun out. Draw your blinds during the hottest part of the day to keep your home cooler. And don’t forget to wear some shades outside to make yourself look cooler than you already are.
- Consider LED lighting. They use 75% less energy and last 50 times longer than traditional bulbs. Additionally, they’re much more environmentally friendly than fluorescent and incandescent lights.
- Grill out! This one’s a no-brainer. Ovens and stoves can raise your kitchen’s temperature by up to 10°. Take the heat out of the kitchen by cooking outdoors. It’s also a great excuse to have some summer fun and show off your new apartment or house.
- Wash with cold or warm water. Ninety percent of your washing machine’s energy goes toward heating the water, so save energy by doing laundry on the cold or warm cycle.
While you’re at it, contact your local Horace Mann representative to see how much we could save you on your renters or homeowners insurance.
Stay cool(er) and enjoy the rest of your summer!
AM-C04346 (Aug. 18)